9 Things You Should Know About SEO
When Searching For a Memphis Search Engine Optimization Agency
Are you considering hiring an SEO company to help drive traffic to your website? Having a great web design is not always enough to generate a positive return on investment from your website. A website with no traffic is like a car with no gas. If your site is going to play an effective role in the overall marketing strategy of your business, you must drive qualified visitors to it. Since you’re reading this page, it’s probably a safe bet that you’ve already heard of Search Engine Optimization, and you probably realize that it’s a good solution for obtaining the targeted traffic that your website needs.
Want Unofficial to handle the Search Engine Optimization on your website?
Our current availability is limited, so we’re only accepting new clients that are a perfect fit for our SEO New Client Criteria. This ensures that our clients always receive the best possible results, and that our team can focus on the types of projects that we’re great at.
SEO involves making changes on your website, as well as on other websites around the Internet, to help Google and the other search engines to better understand what your website is all about, and which keywords you should be ranking in the search results for. When done properly, SEO service can result in lots of highly targeted traffic visiting your site, and ultimately doing business with you. When done incorrectly though, Search Engine Optimization service can have a negative impact on your rankings, causing your site to fall out of the search results, and reducing your traffic to a mere trickle.
Since the quality of your SEO strategy has the potential to drastically improve your business OR drastically damage your business, it’s important that you know what to look for when hiring a Search Engine Optimization agency.
What should you know before hiring an SEO Agency?
1. SEO is an ongoing process, not a one-time deal. A great Search Engine Optimization strategy should involve making changes, tracking results, and then implementing more changes based on those results. If an agency is promising you top-rankings without ongoing tracking, measuring, and tweaking, then either your website has very little competition in the search engines, or you should have concerns about the qualifications of that Search Engine Optimization company.
2. Top search engine rankings cannot be guaranteed. Google warns businesses to be wary of SEO providers that guarantee top-3 rankings, and my advice echoes Google’s. When it comes to SEO, some elements are just beyond the agency’s control – most specifically, the search engine’s policies. It’s impossible to know exactly what Google is looking for when they rank a website for a particular term, so it’s also impossible to guarantee a top ranking. If you’ve talked to someone that is guaranteeing your website will rank at the top of page 1 for all of your search terms, you should be very leery, as there’s a good chance that they’re going to let you down at some point.
3. Great rankings take time when SEO is being performed properly. There are lots of ways to get a website to move up in the search results. Unfortunately, some of the methods that cause the fastest rise in rankings are also frowned upon by Google (and the other search engines.) If you’re talking to a search engine optimization company that’s promising rapid results, that should be a cause for concern. While it’s possible that your rankings could increase quickly with proper optimization, we generally advise our clients to expect high rankings to take 3 – 6 months, and even longer in highly-competitive situations.
4. Search engine rankings move up and down every day. That’s natural, don’t panic. Try searching for something on Google from your computer. Then try the same search from your smartphone. Chance are the results were slightly different on the two devices. Now wait a few hours and try again, and you’ll probably find that the results are different once more. Search engine rankings shift constantly, and that causes anxiety for some website owners – especially those that are new to SEO. Don’t worry about the small ups and downs in rankings. Instead focus on the bigger picture … What’s your average ranking? Are your rankings improving month over month (as opposed to day by day?) By focusing on the bigger picture, you’ll save yourself a lot of stress, and you’ll be able to better identify what’s really working, and what’s not.
5. Your search engine optimization agency should be performing onsite and offsite optimization. Onsite optimization is the process of tweaking your website to ensure that you have the right keywords, in the right places, the right number of times. Offsite optimization is the process of improving your website’s overall reputation on the Internet (by getting other websites to link to you, being active on social media, ensuring that your contact information is consistent across the Internet, etc.) If you’re expecting substantial results from your SEO service, it’s important that their plan includes both onsite and offsite optimization.
6. When choosing an SEO company, experience matters. As mentioned above, poorly performed optimization can result in drops in rankings, or even being banned by Google. There’s lots of bad information on the Internet about how to optimize websites for better search engine rankings, and a fair amount of that information is the type of advice that can get your website banned. Inexperienced SEO companies are highly vulnerable to using search engine optimization tactics that could penalize your website, because they lack the experience to know what works well and what should be avoided. Choose a search engine optimization service that has been in the business for 5+ years (even better if they’ve been in the business for 10+ years,) and make sure that they can show you numerous websites that they’ve successfully ranked for highly competitive terms.
7. Your SEO agency should report to you on a regular basis. They should be keeping you informed about the types of work that they’re doing, and what impact it’s having on your rankings. They should also send you rankings reports on a regular basis, that show you your current rankings, and how they’ve changed over time. We’ve already mentioned that rankings change regularly, so we’re not talking about daily reports, but monthly reports are certainly a reasonable frequency.
8. You get what you pay for when you’re buying search engine optimization. Legitimate SEO service – the kind that will get you top rankings without risking being penalized or banned by Google – is time consuming and labor intensive. Additionally, the more competitive your keywords are, the more time, labor, and money it will take to achieve results. Budget SEO companies simply don’t charge enough to do the work that’s required to achieve lasting top-results. Consider investing enough money to hire an experienced SEO professional that can truly deliver top-results. The return-on-investment will be substantially higher, even if the upfront cost is a little more.
9. Once you’ve chosen a search engine optimization expert to work on your project, trust them until they give you a reason not to. You’ve hired them because they’re the expert. Trust their expertise and don’t micromanage the process. Sit back and watch the rankings reports, and pay attention to how your rankings are changing over time. If after a few months your rankings aren’t showing substantial progress to indicate that the search engine optimization company’s work is effective, then fire them and hire someone more qualified.
The Unofficial team has been helping businesses in Memphis and surrounding areas to obtain top search engine results since 2002. Our Memphis SEO experts know what works and they know what doesn’t work. We’ve got an established portfolio of websites that are ranking at the top of Google for very competitive keywords, many of which we’ve kept at the top of the rankings for years.
We’re selective about the clients that we work with, so we’re not a perfect fit for everyone. For the clients that we do work with though, we’re laser focused on results. Our success resides in the success of our clients, and we’re committed to that success.
Think Unofficial might be a good fit for your SEO project?
I have thoroughly enjoyed every step of completing my web design and follow up training on how to use the administrative tools! I was with another company that was unresponsive to my needs and seemed to not really care…Unofficial is very refreshing!Bonnie Sisk